Sidetrip: 07P-5

Missing the Bus

The one essential stop is One Life. After that, well, the library would be good. I don't feel like walking all the way.When the bus finally shows up its headsign reads "Out of service." So, I guess I'll just walk over to the beach. Standing there, waiting for the walk, I see the regular bus hidden behind the other. It sails past. They won't stop if you're not at the stop.

Warm sun, cool breeze from the southeast. Unusual. Rain is predicted for sometime this weekend but being only September I'll believe it when I see it. There are buildups of cloud off to the west.

I've been conscripted to help out with Debbie and Nate's "Great Race" project on Saturday. In this event couples race from place to place in Los Angeles and have to complete a task at each location to get the next clue. Here they will make an arch from sand. Perhaps I should take a look at the sand.

Build number: 07P-5
Title: none
Date: September 21
Location: Venice Breakwater, south side
Start: who knows; construction time approx 1.5 hours
Height: about 3 feet
Base: yes
Assistant: none
Photo digital: none, no camera
Photo 35mm: none
Photo 6X7: none
Photo volunteer: none
Video: none
Equipment note: a fine selection of clam and mussel shells

The whole thing is unplanned. I haven't done a sculpture since early April. Crowd tolerance through the summer was close to nil. Today just a few are walking around. I'm glad Labor Day is past. Sigrid and Ed come by, also celebrating the end of summer.

There's a nice big Pismo clam shell for the heavy digging, at least until it breaks under the stress. Mussel shells work for smaller details but it's still hard to get inside. Where there's a will, though, things will be made to work. The result is a very nice sculpture.

The first sculpture after a long break tends to be fresh. This one combines some of the internal-structure discipline of recent formed sculpture with the free-pile flow. I like it. Too bad I didn't listen to God's hint that I'd need a camera. Of course I wouldn't need it. I was just going to the library.

2007-September-23

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?