Not Ready for the Storm

They said it would rain Saturday. I thought perhaps I should sculpt on Friday but real life intruded. There were errands to run and the closest I got to sculpting was to detour by way of the beach to sample the sand. It's always moving around. Surprisingly there was a thick layer of fine sand, which pretty much dictated things for Saturday.

I didn't sleep well. Awakened to grey dimness I thought the predicted rain was imminent, but as the morning progressed light grew in the living room windows. Once it started to cast shadows I decided to head out.

That was as bright as the day ever got. As I walked down the Boardwalk, pulling my cart full of equipment, off to the southwest I could see dark grey. And to the west. To the northwest, more of the same. Well, maybe it'll just blow over.

I went to work. Filled the form with that wonderful silky sand, hauled to an above-tide work area. I needn't have bothered; the western horizon was getting closer and closer. Having come so far I couldn't just abandon it and perhaps it would just be a light sprinkle.

The idea was derived from previous sculptures. I wanted a more curving and integrated look for this one, so I shaped the outside and then sketched on that what I wanted. Glancing west I realized I needed to make it march. I wouldn't have to worry about catching sunset light.

Sprinkle drops started, and became heavier. I rushed as much as I could. The rain abated and then came back with what seemed a feeling of settling in. All I had were sandals, a very light windbreaker, shorts and a T-shirt. Feeling departed from my toes and my fingers were becoming rather wooden. This is a problem in detailed sculpture.

I watched as the horizon came closer. No hope. I did a quick bit of brushing, widened some holes and called it a day. Shot a few quick pictures as the rain built up, loaded the cart and headed home, walking fast in an attempt to warm up my toes.



Note the disappearing Palos Verdes Peninsula in the background. Also note the varying areas of progress on the sculpture: some polish, some cuts close to final, some very rough, and some are just sketched in. Also note the lack of clean-up around the base. This is what it looks like until I smooth out and brush the sand around the sculpture.

Because this sculpture wasn't finished it doesn't get a build number. I refer to it in my records as Lifetime Start #312, which is a cumulative count of all "major" sculptures. What constitutes a major sculpture has varied. There are some sculptures that by current standards would have been major but didn't get counted. Yes, I know it's a weird system.
















Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?