Fog, Wind, Spray: 07F-6

Spring is interesting. Inland it might be 80 degrees while we shiver on the beach. Better cool than hot for sand sculpture.

I got lucky on this one. The fine sand came back, in a thick bed beneath a few inches of coarse overburden. All I had to do was remove that. Much better than the backbreaking work of "cream-skimming."



I wanted a more delicate sculpture, but the press of time and the onset of shivering precluded it. We had some thin sunlight for a few minutes and then the clouds came back, with the temperature dropping. Not bad for the walkers and joggers, and the active sand sculptor. Delicate carving takes more contemplation, and that results in a losing battle with a damp wind.











There was quite a tour of visitors. I'm gradually getting the Email program together. Michael was there with his friend, Owens. I'd seen my dentist the day before for another of those dreaded deep-cleaning jobs that are so essential, and while there he told me about how tools drew him to dentistry. I told him about my tools and said I'd be carving, and he came by on his daily run. Siggy came by while he was there, but Rudy was otherwise occupied. Rich had jury duty, fortunately for just one day. Larry Dudock came by just as I was getting ready to take pictures.



I was tired before I started this one. I'm surprised the images came out as well as they did, considering incipient shivers and sculptor's palsy. That's why I bought that fast lens, and also bumped up the ISO to 200. The wonders of digital photography, even if it doesn't look as good as black-and-white.


Comments:
Some very beautiful work there. I hope to be able to see something like it when I go to California this Summer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?