Time's Pressure: 07F-8


















Be Quick and Canny

I was debating. Relax, eat lunch, rest. Or, eat lunch and do a sculpture. Then Canny, a co-worker, called. He wanted to know if there were any beach plans on this holiday. So, we met for lunch and then headed for the beach.

Build number: 07F-8 (lifetime start #318)
Title: none
Date: March 26
Location: Venice Breakwater, on the flat
Start: approx 1315; construction time approx 5 hours
Height: about 2.4 feet, on tall sokkel left over from F-7
Assistant: none
Photo digital: EOS-1D w/24-70 zoom, walkaround and details, 36 images
Photo 35mm: none
Photo 6X7: none
Photo volunteer: passerby builder shot with my camera
Video: none
Visitors: Michael and Owens; Alex, who had seen sculptures before
Equipment note: none

I had to be quick due to the late start. Light didn't appear to be a problem; clouds like cement hung low over the beach. I built rapidly but even so Canny sitll thought it should be quicker. He had to leave before I'd gotten much more than a basic start on the carving.

"Are you Rene?"
"No, I'm Larry."
"I saw a sculpture here earlier. Somebody had carved the name Rene in it."
"That happens sometimes. People have to put graffiti everywhere."
"I asked people who made it. They told me it must have been somebody named Rene. We made up all kinds of stories about this French man doing sand sculpture."
"Sounds like fun."
"I've seen a couple of your sculptures, but I never saw you. I just thought of you as the "Magic Man." It was wonderful, coming to the beach to see whatever was here, different each time, and find these sculptures."
"Thank you." She even shows me some photos she took with her phone. At least attempts to. The screen is dark, the glare from the clouds overwhelming.

The sculpture turned out well, even with the short time. Sometimes this is a good thing. I don't have time to think too much.




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?